Monday, October 4, 2010

What ever happened to love letters?

Those were the good old days. When romance was traditional but colourful. When men still wrote poems and love songs to impress and win the hearts of the women of their dreams.

Love letters were such a huge thing then. I remember how older girls opened envelopes to reveal perfumed papers in different bright colours and giggled endlessly jumping up and down their beds in excitement. You could see the effort put into writing the letter. The handwriting would be so beautiful and the words, very touching.

When the girls replied, of course it involved some drama. I knew one particular girl that ended her letters with an imprint of her lipsticked lips. Then she would write, "Kiss me".

I received a number of love letters in my early teenage years. All I did was laugh. What did I know? I didn't understand why anyone would call me 'the sugar in their tea' and 'the rose in their garden'.

I think when a person writes by himself, he gives a part of himself and a degree of passion is involved. As a writer, I write in long hand and I write using my laptop too and it is slightly different when I stare at my own writing as I write.

I guess typing away on the phone to send messages and the computer to send emails have replaced the art of writing love letters in long hand.

I miss those days though.

Read this beautiful piece and tell me what you think.



I Love You

Just three little words don't seem like enough for someone whose smile still brightens my day,

whose touch can makes me forget the rest of the world.

They don't seem like enough for someone who's always been there to celebrate with me

when everything goes my way and to hold my hand when my whole world seems to fall apart.

But even though "I Love You" can't express the depth of my feelings for you.

I hope you know what's in my heart.

Because loving you means more to me than anything in the world and it always will.

Wishing you all the best.

Lily Johnson

Pics from Momlogic.com

13 comments:

  1. I agree. I used to have a box filled with letters but tossed them when I got married. It probably would have been fun to go back and read them.

    There is something special about a handwritten note that cannot be replaced with modern technology...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohh I think love letters are something special too. Last time i got one was 10 yrs ago. now I get some quasi-funny-emoticon riddled love emails which dare you to take the love declaration seriously. Guys re getting cowardly nowadays aint they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, such a fabulous post, Lily; I could not agree more. I wish boys were more apt to write love letters to girls that they are smitten with - so romantic!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanted to say that "I have never gotten a love letter" but i remember
    i have
    surprise surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So lovely, darling!

    I miss love letters too!

    xoxox,
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Carma: Thanks for the comment. You had a box load of letters? Well, you're hot so... take care girl.

    @Ginger: My last was 12 years ago. All we get these days are e mails and yes, they are getting cowardly. Thanks for the message.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Cafe Fashionista: Thanks for the comment Erica. We should tell them to write us love letters. They are more romantic.

    @Tisha: Of course you have girl! Thanks for the comment.

    @Couture Carrie: We all do CC. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I recently read the love letters my Daddy wrote to my Mom when he was in Vietnam. So different than an email, I can touch the paper he held, see his boyish writing, brings him closer than a computer memory ever could.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Someone just laughed at me and told me to get with the 21st century when I said I still write letters. And he said it with all conviction too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Carol: Thats the reason why men should write us letters. You can touch the same paper and see his own handwriting. Oh! how romantic. Thanks for your comment.

    @Nice Anon: You can imagine! Many people feel like that my dear. Its just what the BB has done to them. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @rocnaija: I was at blog and found out that your last post was similar! Wow! I love your blog. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Laughs @ Ginger's comment...yea! so 'write' Lily...i can't remember also...i tore all the love letters i wrote to my hubby immediately we got married & am regretting it...it pained my hubby also who like to refer to it anytime we quarrel... *grinning*

    ReplyDelete

Share your views. I really want to hear them...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...