Monday, October 10, 2011

From the East, with pictures and a weird gist..

On the 27th of September, I and my large family buried our 90 year old grannie who had passed away a few months earlier. We had gotten past the sadness and all so we just celebrated the life of the matriarch.


Here are some pictures from the event which took place in Akama Oghe in Ezeagu Local government of Enugu state, Nigeria.


Mum, Berl, Lily, Dami[my bestie] and Ursula[at the back] Berl and Ursula're my younger sisters.



In my room after dressing up for the ceremony

'Abacha'. African salad. Yummy!


A cousin, Ursula, Berl, Lily and Andre[younger bro]

Dancing!!





The 'udu'


'Ogene' [Metal gong] and a drum


The 'Ichaka'



This guy can dance!


A sort of local gun or something called 'Nkpo na ani'










A Fulani woman turned Igbo


She danced vigourously with that calabash on her head and it didnt even shake!






Masquerades. I and Dami werent allowed to take this picture because we were women so we got Andre to do it.

The guy in the Tee shirt and brown trousers is the 'rainmaker'


However, I witnessed something really weird and thought I should share it with you guys. One of my uncles called a ‘rain maker’ to make sure that it doesn’t rain on the day of the ceremony. On the day before the ceremony, the man staggered into the compound like he was very drunk. My dad had made it clear that he wanted nothing to do with anyone playing ‘god’ so the man came to see my uncle. When I saw him, I tweeted ‘The rain maker is here’. The tweet to my surprise, didn’t post. This continued for a while. Then I tweeted ‘Rainmaker’. It appeared on my TL. So anytime, I added ‘the’ before ‘rainmaker’ , the tweet would disappear somehow. Twitter might have had problems then but it was weird that it happened only when the man was around and I did tweet about other things and they didn’t ‘disappear like those tweets had.


The rainmaker’s name[let’s see you disappear here] was Romanus. On the day of the ceremony, it was drizzling a bit. He brought out some herbs, put them inside water and started ‘chasing away’ the rain. It did stop raining a few minutes later. Throughout our stay, it only rained at night. According to the villagers, it was the ‘rain’ in his stomach was what was making him stagger all over the place and not alcohol. And when he sleeps at night, the rain would be released.

Dear reader, isn’t that one of the weirdest things you have ever heard?

We didn’t even know what to think about the whole things but allowed ourselves to be puzzled for a while. Like really? This guy is not a herbalist but he could stop the rain from ruining this day? Okay!


The man in sunglasses is my dear father.



Set for church service on Sunday


Monday morning. Waiting for the bus. Wearing hairnets, no make up whatsoever and as tired as hell!

We did have a great time anyway. And drank a lot of fresh palm wine too.


Hope you guys are okay.

Lily Johnson



Enhanced by Zemanta

15 comments:

  1. You have a very beautiful family!

    The rainmaker thing makes me laugh. I had written a post about my husband's step father (a medicine man) and included a photo of a Navajo medicine man. It brought my whole site down. Somethings are not blog material or twitter material! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I always hear these "rainmaker" stories, my Dad would react just the same way your Dad did.
    You look just like your mum, that's sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The rain maker story and man is funny and weird, and u do have a lovely family..chizys-spyware.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Surely rain makers and medicine men have no say on twitter and blogger, lol. But I accept their powers over nature, huh...

    Lovely family and pictures. I want Abacha and palm wine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Linda: Thanks Ma! People just dont want to hear about stuff like that but they do exist. Weird stuff though

    @Coy: My dad just took one look at him and just dismissed him. That made it quite interesting for us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Coy: Yeah, I look too much like my mum. She looked exactly the way i look now when she was newly married.

    @Chizy: You would have been stunned if you were there. Thanks dear.

    @Myne: Lol. They do have powers i tell you. Abacha and palmwine; delicious i tell you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanking God for journey mercies for you and yours.

    Rainmakers indeed. My parents will scoff at such, but i guess it works for those who believe..

    Your Mom looks like your senior sister. and the pix make me feel so nostalgic. especially the dancing ndi nne.

    May your granny's soul rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Ginger: Thanks dear. It does work for those that believe. We were just like 'So he stopped the rain huh. *shrug*. Yeah, i know my mum looks like my elder sister and she is just as wonderful as she is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a weird experience ! Surely it seems like a supernatural event ! You do have a beautiful family ! May your grandma rest in peace !.
    Nice blog, if you happen to like mine we could follow each other, kisses from Italy

    www.fashionandcookies.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks like you guys had a lot of fun!

    I just passed the "Versatile Blogger" award on to you. Congratulations! Please check my blog (relentlessbuilder.blogspot.com) for more details. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awww...Lily you and your family and friends are so beautiful! I'm so glad that you had a wonderful time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Vale: It did seem like one though we all had our doubts. Thanks!
    And your blog is beautiful and i am soo following you.

    @Relentless Builder: Yes we did! Thanks a lot for the award. Now going to your blog.

    @Cafe Fashionista: Thanks Erica darling!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely pictures, keep posting. first time here and following.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lanre ( @Teaziii )April 29, 2013 at 1:47 AM

    Haha....weird AF. Can see you had a nice time, and your family is really beautiful :) Ok lemme disappear ( ._.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww.... thank u so much for reading. Don't disappear naa. Lol.

      Delete

Share your views. I really want to hear them...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...